Thursday, June 16, 2011

Exploring Color & Value



  1. I understand that there are only 2 or 3 people that are art majors in the class but this was very remedial to me. I’ve made several color wheels and value scales but I don’t think I ever made a 10-step value scale. It got a little difficult in the middle to make sure there was a gradation difference.
  2. I enjoyed making the color wheel. I enjoy using acrylics. Charcoal is messy. Yuck!  I love how you are able to mix colors to get a different color. I’m a color person. It puts a smile on my face. I done an acrylic project once that we chose an image in a magazine and had to mix acrylics to get the same colors in the image. It was very tedious but I enjoyed the color matching.
  3. Value has many steps even more than what we represented. The color wheel shows us how one color can be added to another color to get a totally different color. You can work with only the primary colors and get such an array of different hues. Let non-artists experience different mediums, too.
  4. The most important thing I learned from the video Color Theory 2: Paint/Pigment Primary Colors. The Truth!!!  was that red, blue, and yellow makes brown not black when combined. Cyan, magenta, and yellow, which are computer printer inks, are the combination to make black. I don’t think we should change our thought on primary colors. Red, blue, yellow will always be the primaries. Just like Pluto will always be a planet to me. Not that I don’t like change but don’t drill me information for years and then change your mind. The video Value Step Scales using Graphite Pencil helped me make my value scale because I used a blender and a kneaded eraser. I had to sometimes pull some charcoal off the step to lighten the step up.

No comments:

Post a Comment