Thursday, June 23, 2011

Trip to Albright-Knox

 
Yves Tanguy, Indefinite Divisbility, 1942, oil on canvas
               Roy Lichtenstein, Head-Red and Yellow, 1962, oil on canvas
Liam Gillick, Expanded Production, 2008, powder-coated aluminum and transparent plexiglass


These artworks made the biggest impact on me. Yves Tanguy Indefinite Divisibility creates this dream-like landscape, which categorizes it as surrealism. The artists who create surrealistic paintings seem to always be a little mentally imbalanced. I like to know what makes their brain’s work. Tanguy creates this shape that reminds me of a person or I see a person on a very large horse. The painting takes me somewhere else so I can forget about my world and live in that one for just a few minutes.  Roy Lichtenstein Head-Red and Yellow makes me think of the Sunday comics, which I always enjoy to read. The dot pattern he uses is called Ben-Day dots. They are different than halftones because they are the same size and distributed in a specific space. The thought of painting every single dot takes patience, which must have been very time consuming. The last work I chose is Liam Gillick Expanded Production the color just makes me happy. How he mounted it on the ceiling intrigues me. I would have loved to seen this go down the length of the corridor. Also the light plays with it because it is created out of transparent plexiglass. 

                              Edward Ruscha, Electric, 1963, oil on canvas

         James Jacques Joseph Tissot, L'Ambitieuse (Political Woman), 1883-85, 
                             oil on canvas Also known as The Reception
                    William Harnett, Music and Literature, 1878, oil on canvas

These artworks I feel I have a connection with. Edward Ruscha Electric uses colors I would use. They are vibrant and have energy and inflicts you with that energy it creates. I like how it makes me feel alive and sometimes I could definitely need that. James Jacques Joseph Tissot L’Ambitieuse (Political Woman) makes me wonder why she is looking back. I think she is dreading being judged by all the people in the room. Who hasn’t felt like that?  I love her dress and how he created the texture of the ruffles. I know I can’t but I want to try the dress on because it is so beautiful. The last painting is William Harnett Music & Literature. This was the first realism painting I seen in person years ago. I just stood there and looked to see how he could get a painting to look like a photograph. I played violin from 4th grade until I graduated and this painting reminds me of that time. I wasn’t the greatest violinist but I enjoyed it.  

                           Marisol, Baby Girl, 1963, wood and mixed media
            Giacomo Balla, Dynamism of a Dog on a Leash, 1912, oil on canvas

          Jehan Georges Vibert, The Marvelous Sauce, 1890, oil on wood panel 

These artworks are the ones I would like to know more about. Marisol Baby Girl  always intrigued me with the out of proportion size of the girl and the small woman on her leg. I remember seeing this work the very first time I came to the art gallery and still love it. Marisol began as a painter and then went to sculpture. She worked in mixed media sculpture that included carving, nailing, gluing, painting, drawing, plastering, and found objects. Marisol liked to sign her sculptures using an image of herself within the piece. Giacomo Balla Dynamism of a Dog on a Leash shows movement that usual you would create using film. I would think he would have to wait for each layer to dry before making the next movement. His work is categorized as Futurism because he showed light, movement, and speed. He was fascinated with the energy of modern life. Life definitely never slows down always on the move. The last one I chose is Jehan Georges Vibert The Marvelous Sauce. Again it is a realistic painting, I love photography so these just amaze me how a painter can get the same result. I think this is a funny painting, the clergy being overweight and where else would he be but the kitchen. As I read more about the painting, Vibert was criticizing the clergy because it looks like he spends more time eating then doing his duty for the church.





                                                

1 comment:

  1. I also chose Head-Red and Yellow. I liked how we got to choose art that meant something to us. It made the assignment more meaningful.

    ReplyDelete